1976 Copersucar FD04, Fittipaldi (FDS 1:43) September 26, 2018December 13, 2013 by adminMark This is the first white metal kit I’ve built from scratch. The kit is FDS #61 “Copersucar FD04 – 1977”, but it also builds the silver 1976 version. All the parts contained in FDS kit #61 The main body casting had some pits that proved difficult to fill. In frustration, I went and built the wheels up instead! The kit did not include Goodyear decals, but I had some left over from another project. I like the look of the front wheels. In addition to this unbuilt kit, I also had FDS Kit#61 in built form that I’d purchased off eBay (see restoration build diary HERE). Even though they are the same kit, there are quite a few differences, such as the top engine casting. The one in the kit I’m building up (left, which doesn’t even fit – maybe the wrong part??) is very different to the one on the yellow car I already had (right). They also have quite different wheels & tyres. There appears to be poor consistency of castings from one kit to the other. I have to keep reminding myself this was manufactured way back in the late 1970s… Photos of the real car suggest there was always something different about the sidepods, airbox, rear wing, nose cone, cooling vents etc at practically every race. I don’t think it raced in the same configuration for more than one event at a time! As such, I built this as a non race-specific ‘generic’ model, although it is quite similar to what was raced at Monaco. Therefore, I cut the little fins off the top of the radiator pods and used putty to build ‘kick-ups’ in front of the rear wheels. It was a tedious process building these up. There are still some holes to fill and square off before this was hit with primer. Body done and painted silver, awaiting decals and detail painting (and the other parts!) Almost there, only needs the rear wing, side mirrors and a couple more decals to finish this one off. This is a 35-year old kit and the white decals for the number backgrounds were quite yellowed. I tried the ‘UV bleach’ trick for the first time, and it worked! Above & Below: Complete! Cockpit detail = not much! There’s a steering wheel and the belts are cast into the seat The white decals for the number backgrounds came up pretty good after weeks in the sunlight.