Repairs: Tameo F1s

These two professionally built, but damaged, kits arrived and needed some TLC to return them to displayable condition.

The models are Alan Jones Williams FW07B Monaco GP 1980 (Tameo kit SLK 022 – the kit is for the winner Carlos Reutemann, however this one was built as the Jones version) and Michael Schumacher Ferrari F2002 San Marino GP 2002 (Tameo kit TMK 308). These are both cast white metal kits with rubber tyres, machined rims and lots of photo-etch.

First step was to analyse the damage. Both models were complete and arrived with the original box (with instructions still inside), but both had damaged front wings. They also had a bit of dust to clean off and several of the tyre decals on the Ferrari had lifted.

Front wing completely broken off the Ferrari. Unfortunately the break was the mounting pylons that form part of the nose cone. Nice carbon decals on the photo-etch front suspension, though I still reckon carbon is a bit overkill at this scale.
Front wings were significantly bent backwards on the Williams. Note the injection stub on the left front tyre (right of photo) – who builds models with the wheel rotated to show that?
Finger prints on the Ferrari sidepod.

Before fixing anything, I decided to fit each model to a display plinth. These are delicate models with small fragile parts and it’s quite easy to inflict further damage just by holding them. If they’re on a plinth, it’s far easier to handle the model.

Self-tapping screw to secure the model to the MDF base. The position needs to be carefully considered to avoid damage to the model as well as its location on the plinth.
A small hole needs to be drilled into the base of the model for a securing screw to tap into. It can only go where there is room for the screw tip to penetrate.
A combination of small washers of various thickness are used to pull the model to the base so the tyres (and in this case also the side skirts) are just touching the plinth surface.
The Williams is a ground-effect (or ‘wing’) car that had sliding skirts on each side that rubbed the ground when the car was in motion. Tameo and the kit builder have got this pretty close to perfect.
Bridgestone tyre decals had lifted on several of the tyre sidewalls. Several applications of decal softener largely fixed this.

Both models had dust and debris on them. I used a cotton bud dampened with a mix of water and dish washing detergent to carefully clean the bodywork.

While the Ferrari front wing was simply glued back on, I gently bent the Williams’ wings back into place as much as I could by hand without breaking them off. They’re not perfect, but pretty close.

Five-minute epoxy was used to fix the front wing on the Ferrari, and considering there was a paint break, it hasn’t come up too bad.
All done! Some further notes – the Williams should have black front wheels, both drivers ran flat-black front rims at Monaco. I’m yet to decide if I should paint them as the machined rims look pretty cool!
I believe the Marlboro decals on the Ferrari are after market as photos in the instructions have the logos blanked out.
The Silverline kit of the Williams is quite impressive. The cockpit detail includes seat belts, gearshift and the monocoque tub itself.

Leave a Comment